2004 Dodge Dakota hesitates/jumps/lags ? when RPMs dip down in overdrive

Here’s my problem:
My 2004 Dodge Dakota V6 4X4 hesitates/jumps/lags (don’t know what to call it, but it feels like something momentarily holds back the truck from behind) when I am starting up a hill. I start to loose speed/RPMs and give it a little gas, the RPMs don’t change, then it happens. As soon as the transmission does down shift though, and the RPMs go up, it stops. This issue happens the most between about 40 to 50 mph and 1000 and 2000 RPMs. If I turn overdrive off then this problem does not occur even when the RPMs dip down below 2000, which in all fairness is not often. The truck has appx. 128,000 miles on it.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Has the plugs, wires, rotor, cap and coil been replaced?

Not since I’ve had the vehicle. I was thinking of trying that first if I couldn’t find any other information.

You can’t expect a V6 to pull any load in the 1000-1500 RPM range…That’s lugging the engine, a problem compounded if maintenance has been neglected…First a tune-up, then don’t be afraid to lock out the overdrive during town driving…

After you give it a tune up let us know the outcome.

Once you get a proper tune up, which sounds way overdue, if the symptoms still persist it would be worth putting a scan tool on the vehicle and looking at the data stream from the engine sensors to make sure everything being reported to the PCM is ‘rational’.

Thanks for the info! I will let yall know how a tune-up works out.

it sounds a little like my problem with my 05 durango with the 4.7 it stalls when I hit the brakes but it does not do it all the time any one have any sugestions

Bad spark plugs will fail more often under stress as in overdrive going rather slowly.

This thread is over 2 months old, Mr Hurd needs to start his own thread.