2004 Dodge Caravan AC Drain Tube

I am getting water on the passenger-side floor. I would like to clean the AC drain tube but am not sure how to access it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

If you jack up the vehicle you should be able to ID that tube… I have had similar issues over the years and I sent a wire with a bent rounded end up the tube to dislodge debris and drain this unit. Sometimes those A/C boxes are difficult to access properly inside the vehicle…but they usually reside behind the glove box…when you remove the bolts holding the squirrel cage blower in place you can gain some much needed access.

Back to that wire…just use a piece of solid copper wire…or hell…even a stiff plastic tubing…to dislodge material. The last time I did this…Not only did I send the wire up into the drain tube…I also sent a stiff plastic tube up the drain…and pumped water and bleach mixture up into the box…and allowed it to drain. I did this multiple times…and never had any issues henceforth.

So you can clear the drain with a wire…pump water or another liquid up into the tube and allow to drain…or you can try to access the blower motor assy behind the glove box (depending on model of vehicle)…all these things will help keep that A/C unit in the car able to drain itself and free from FUNK.

Blackbird

The AC drain tube is on the firewall.

Tester

“If you jack up the vehicle you should be able to ID that tube… I have had similar issues over the years and I sent a wire with a bent rounded end up the tube to dislodge debris and drain this unit.”

I have an older body style Caravan, but I had some debris (bugs, leaf bits) in my AC drain, years ago. I was able to look behind the engine from above and see a stub of a pipe coming through the firewall toward the passenger-side. It has a rubber cap on the end with a split in the end that causes the rubber cap to function like a one-way valve, allowing water to drain, but keeping water and debris from entering from under the car.

It didn’t take much to clog that little slit and it was quite simple to pull off the rubber piece, clear it and the end of the tube, and push it back in place.

I’m not sure if that design remains, but you can look for it. A little drip from it could make it easier to locate.

CSA

@marktwark

Here’s another thing to check.

Some 2001-2004 Caravans (& other Chrysler models) had the problem you describe. Chrysler wrote a 2 page TSB (technical service bulletin) to help their technicians pinpoint the problem easier.

See if you can search, locate, and download TSB # 23-010-04 Rev. A. It will tell you how to check and if necessary repair the leak with RTV sealer (usually purchased in a tube). It does not appear to be a big repair, but rather easy.

CSA

That sounds good to me… Wherever it is… run somethin thru it to clear the blockage. All the same advice applies no matter where that tube is… Same deal. Sounds easier to reach if its on the firewall. Then again…its a van…nothing is easy to reach sometimes…esp the firewall. Dunno…find the tube and clear it

Blackbird

Thanks for all of the replies. I’ll get on it first thing tomorrow morning armed with all this information. I appreciate it!!!

The TSB Is Easy To Find. Here’s One Download:

CSA