2004 Buick LeSabre - Burns oul

My 2004 Buick Lesabre burns about a half quart to a quart of 5-30 synthetic oil 2800 to 3000 miles after an oil change.
The low oil warning indicator has alerted me a couple of times. The car has only been driven 55000 miles. Should I consider changing to 10-40 oil? Where I live it rarely is extremely cold for long periods of time.

A quart every 6000 miles is very low oil consumption. Do not change viscosity… check your oil level at least every 2nd tank of gas. If the low oil light has come on, you LET it come on because you don’t check the oil.

5 Likes

That’s all? Sounds good, how much do you want for it?

I add a quart every 1000 miles to my car, but I only plan to keep it for another 5 years.

1 Like

You could try a 5W40 synthetic at your next oil change. But as other advise, check the oil level after every second tank of gas and keep track of it.

I had a Chevy which lasted me 250,000 miles of trouble free driving but it used a quart every 1500 miles due to basically loose clearances and some very small leaks not worth repairing. So, oil is cheap and I never let the level get low and changed every 3000 miles.

Years ago Jaguar sports cars used to have a waring in their manuals to expect oil consumption as high a quart every 750 miles!!

I have an 05 Lesabre. It burns about the same - about 1 quart per 5k miles. I changed the Pcv valve just for fun, but it made no difference. It’s burned the same amount of oil since I obtained it with 52k miles. It has 160k or so miles now and I’ve had no engine issues.

Oh, and Nevada, I’ll take $5k! I’ll probably take a lot less, but $5k is a great jumping off point :grin: