2003 Toyota Corolla timing belt,chain

At what mileage does the timing belt/cahin on a 2003 Toyota Corolla need to be replaced.?

I know nothing about this model of car as far as maintainance schedule goes.

Thanks

You don’t need to be an expert on maintenance!

Simply read the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule that should be sitting in your glove compartment. It is contained either in the Owner’s Manual or in a separate booklet with an appropriate title.

Incidentally, I believe that you have a timing belt, but the maintenance schedule can confirm whether I am correct. If you have a timing belt, it will be listed for replacement at one of the “major” services, i.e.–60k or 90k or…? If you have never looked at this information previously, you may find that you have omitted some vital procedures, so it is better to learn about this now, before you begin having serious mechanical problems.

According to the info on the Gates site, your engine appears to have a timing chain, not a belt. No periodic replacement is usually recommended for timing chains, but check your owner’s manual to be sure, as already suggested.

Its a chain, but check your owners manual for other maintenance items. One thing that is not in the maintenance schedule, but I learned from experience, change the transmission fluid about every 30k miles. Toyota thinks that its good for the life of the vehicle, but it doesn’t seem to work out that way. At least check it and if its not bright red, then change it or get it changed. Use only Toyota trans fluid, T4 I believe.

I have a 2007 Corolla and the manual gives no belt change intervals for the Corolla, but it does give 60,000 miles for those other Toyota cars equipped with belts, Camry, Highlander, etc. From that I conclude , my car has a timing chain; the engine is the variable valve timing type.