2003 tiburon starting issues

2003 hyundai tiburon

Hello i just bought a hyundai tiburon 2003 manual. It was sitting for about 8 months the guy i bought it from replaced alot of new snesors and other various things. On the way home it drove great when i put it in neutral at a stop sign the idle would jump from 1 to 2 was the only thing i noticed but after got it home 30 plus miles i went to work and tried to start it the next day and it just wouldnt start. Any ideas. I am going to try starting fluid. But could it be from sitting so long that it just needs to run for awile im not to car savy so any ideas would greatly appreciate it.

What happens when you turn the key?

Ive been going out and trying to start it all day. When i turn the key it ill crank for a minute and almost start then just completley stop trying.

I was giving it a little bit of gas and would almost start as well but then i started to smell gas so i didnt want to flood the engine

The starter stops turning? It may be overheating from the extended cranking. You risk ruining the starter and/or the battery.

The engine needs three things to start: spark, fuel, and compression, all in the right amounts at the right times. The surging idle speed may be a clue.

Hold the gas pedal to the floor and then try starting the engine.

If the engine starts, it was flooded.

Tester