2003 Renault Clio 2th gen 1.5 dCi glow plug light and symptoms

Hello,

I have a 2003 Renault Clio 2th gen with a 1.5 dCi engine,this is the 64hp version. My problem is that the glow plug light is constantly on, it came on while I was driving out of nowhere.
Since then I noticed the idle revs are constantly at 1000 RPM instead of the regular 800 RPM, the car is not very responsive and it is jerky at accelerations. However when I press the brake pedal, the idle revs drop back to 800 RPM. I have a new battery in it so I cannot really comment on this, but maybe it is also harder to start. But winter is coming and it will tell.

This is a US based sight with mostly North American forum members. We haven’t seen Renault sold here in about 40 years.

I’d guess the glow plug light is telling you there is a problem and to take it to a mechanic that can scan the car’s computer to identify error codes that will help fix it.

1 Like

Okay, thank you.
I will do that then.

1 Like

NO GP diesel experience myself, but this might prove helpful. Cause could be a simple as faulty fuse. The other symptoms could be a coincidence, or if related to glow plug warning light, might indicate there’s some sort of relay or wiring harness problem.