2003 Mercedes SL 500 transmission issues

Our 2003 SL500 does this thing where it seems like it enters limp home mode very sporadically.

I was trying to make a turn from a stop yesterday and suddenly the car wasn’t responding to throttle inputs. It did start to move slowly when I slammed the gas all the way down, and that was just enough to get out of the road and away from oncoming traffic.

This isn’t the first time this has happened and the car actually went through a major service recently. It is a very intermittent issue so it’s difficult to catch. There’s no rhyme or reason I can tell besides that it tends to happen more when I drive the car hard.

the check engine light or any other alerts have been normal

would really appreciate any advice if anyone can shed any light on this!

You might want to have someone check and see if there’s a problem with the accelerator pedal position sensor.

Tester

2 Likes

Google 2003 SL transmission problems …

“The 2003 mercedes sl500 problems are transmission failure and oil leaks. The transmission fluid needs to be replaced every 30,000 to 60,000 miles. Along with fluid changes, terrible sounds will come from the transmission. Old transmission fluid will be awful to the ear. A worn out torque converter will cause a headache.”

1 Like