2003 Liberty Pinion Bearing Replacement Cost?

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum but I’m looking for some info. I know labor is the bulk of the cost, but the dana 35 in my Jeep needs fixing and I don’t want to get in over my head on cost. I’ve already ordered the ring, pinion, and race/bearing/grease fittings kit, but I don’t have a way to measure the backlash or my preload. Any idea what kind of cost I’d be looking at to have this done at a shop?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

2003 Jeep Truck Liberty 4WD V6-3.7L VIN K

Vehicle » Transmission and Drivetrain » Differential Assembly » Pinion Bearing » Parts Information

Pinion Bearing

Front Axle

Pinion Bearings

16 - Inner

P/N 4746979 $85.60

16 - Outer

P/N J8126499 $79.35

Rear Axle

Pinion Bearings

Chrysler

14 - Inner

P/N 2800484 $55.25

14 - Outer

P/N 2070316 $46.25

Pinion Bearing

Replace

Rear Axle

8 1/4 Axle

Skill Level A

Hours 3.7

198RBI(Model 35) Axle

Skill Level A

Hours 4.0

Front Axle

Both

Skill Level A

Hours 5.9

NOTE - With ABS, Add

Skill Level A

Hours 0.2

Getting into the guts of a rear axle is something I’d leave to the pros if you haven’t done it before.

Or do like I did - replace the entire axle with one from a junk yard. Simple to do, in comparison.

I plan on leaving it to the pros. I just want a ballpark of the labor cost that way I know what to expect.
Based on knfenimore’s post I’m assuming it’ll be around 4-5 hours of labor, so would I be right guessing it should be $500 tops?

Assuming I’ve already purchased all the proper parts and the 80W-90 for the job.

I’d guess more like $1200 or a bit more. I’ve had this done on a Chevy truck 10 bolt, Cost me $1600 and I didn’t supply the parts.

I’ve done this job myself with no more special tools than a dial indicator to measure backlash, a 1/4 drive bending beam torque wrench to measure drag on the preloaded pinon bearings, a hydraulic press and dial calipers. It took me maybe 10 hours to do my first, about 5-6 for the second.

I had a pinion seal leaking, needed more than just a pinion bearing, $1200 ballpark as I recall.

And now you are going to have to find a mechanic to do the job with parts you supply. Most mechanics won’t do this and if you get one that does and the job goes wrong he is going to blame your parts.

I’ve been hunting and pecking on the web for the entire assembly, and it looks like most scrap yards will sell and ship the entire rear axle and differential for under $400. Think I’d be better off doing that?

I remember when you could get a good used complete drum-to-drum rear end for $150. But last few times I started looking it seems they’re going for $300-$600. If you’re able to swap it out yourself then that’s the way to go, provided that you’re willing to take the risk on a used part. But if you’re paying shop rates, you’ll find that you’re only saving a couple hundred from having your unit professionally rebuilt with new parts. In that case it’s not really worth it.

If you came to me with your own ring and pinion and bearing/seal kit I’d do the job for $600. Diff building is somewhat of a specialty that not everyone can do and therefore commands a slightly higher labor rate.

Hey, If you’re in southeast Michigan I’d be happy to patron your business. Lol

I would prefer to get the rear end from a local yard so I can check the axle ratio is the same.

I’d guess $600-$800 labor for that job, depending on the vehicle’s configuration. If it were my truck I’d prefer to fix the existing unit rather than replace it with a used one, to contain the number of unknowns involved . Suggest to seek out a shop that specializes in differentials if possible. One problem you may have, they may refuse to guarantee the job if you supply the parts. If so, take your parts backs and get a refund, and let them supply the parts.

Edit: Make sure you have a matched set for the pinion/ring gear.