2003 Jag X-Type Low Brake Fluid Message on dash

I have a 2003 Jaguar X-Type with about 70K mi with a “low brake fluid” error message displayed on the instrument panel. This problem use to be intermittent, but now it’s on all of the time. Checked the brake fluid, the reservoir is full and the brakes work great. Any recommendations, other than get rid of the car? It was a gift and is pleasurable to drive.

If the reserviour is full, there’s either a wiring fault, or a sticking/broken float. You can A) Check your fluid regularly and ignore it, or B) Fix it.

Obviously, fixing it is the better solution, as in the event of a line failure, that little light on the dash might give you a chance at reacting before an accident.

Have it checked. It could be the float hung up or it could be the parking brake in need of adjustment. Whatever it is, it should be corrected. It’s more important to get this corrected than it would be if the engine were malfunctioning…

If your engine suddenly doesn’t start in the morning it’ll ruin your day.
If your brakes suddenly don’t stop you it can ruin the rest of your life.

Yet people who head straight to the garage if they hear the slightest “ping” procrastinate indefinitely if the brake warning light is on. Don’t be one of those.

Chaissos and mountainbike, thanks for your feedback. I’m going to repair the problem. The issue is not with the E-Brake, the message window displays “LOW BRAKE FLUID”. There are no serviceable parts on the brake cylinder reservoir. The parts for a Jag are pricy and I would like to not swap parts hoping to correct the problem.

Is there anyone who has experience trouble shooting this issue on a Jag and could tell me how to test the brake fluid level sensor using a VOM. I’ve taken a Fluke VOM and get a reading of 1.6 meg ohms with a full reservoir.

Specifically on a Jag, no. But, remove the cover, and manually check the float. You should be able to move it without any special tools - it should just lift with your finger. You should find that all the way up it’s an open circuit, and all the way down it’s a closed circuit (0 ohms).

Reading comprehension at it’s finest…apparently the Jag is the opposite way.

If you disconnect the wiring, it should also shut off the light. If it does, then a replacement cover (with float) should fix it. There has to be a cover of some sort you can remove, otherwise how do you put fluid in?

Chaissos, thanks again. But there are no serviceable parts on the tank and the sensor is not located on the cap (below is a link to a photo of the tank). You disconnect the sensor and the error code remains displayed. If the sensor is defective the tank must be replaced ($110).

In the past I’ve serviced some very sophisticated equipment that used solid state switches which were not simple to test. Since this single feeds into a CPU is this an active low or an active high single. It may not be a simple mechanical switch.

Hope to find someone that actually knows how to trouble shoot the sensor.