2003 Hyundai Accent

I purchased a used 2003 Hyundai Accent about 9 months ago. It has auto transmission and now has about 95,000 miles on it.

The check engine light is always on. I have had this checked and reset–it stays off for a couple of days and then comes back on. The tests indicate something to do with pollution and the gas cap. The gas cap has been replaced.

The only problem I have is when I put gas in the car, I have trouble starting the car. I have to set there reving up the engine for a couple of minutes to keep it from stalling out. It then runs fine and starts fine at all other times.

Any idea what the problem might be? I really hope to drive this car for a long time. Appreciate your help.

Thnaks,

Jade

The only problem I have is when I

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. 

Each code only means that the computer is being told something is not right.  It could be a gas cap, but it may be the sensor for the pressure in the vent system, or another issue with the vent system and there may be more than one code that someone might say it has something to do with the pollution control or vent or gas cap.  We need to know what specific code is being triggered.   

BTW replacing the gas cap is often the right fix, but it appears to be otherwise in this case.  The starting problem you are having is likely related to a vent problem or it may be a fuel pump problem or ....  

“The only problem I have is when I…” Forget what you were going to say? :slight_smile:

sounds as though the purge valve is stuck,and allowing excessive vapors into the intake while fueling,and that will cause an extended crank after fueling,you can remove the hose or pinch the hose while fueling to prove it out,you still should get the codes also.

I agree, the evaporative canister purge control valve seems to be stuck (or, held) open. The engine computer, normally, opens the purge control valve under certain engine conditions.
You could pinch (and hold) the hose carrying the fuel fumes from the canister into the engine intake manifold, during (and after) start. If it starts and runs OK, you’ve found the problem.
The fix would require trouble-shooting the purge control system. Don’t assume that the purge control valve is faulty.