2003 HONDA ELEMENT - Stalls and Make Clunking Sound from Park to Drive - Told I Need A New Trani EEK

Hi - Two weeks ago I bought a 2003 Automatic Honda Element 4WD EX. I did a pre-buy inspection and it has been driving great. Then out of the blue two day ago I was getting ready to leave a parking lot and noticed when I turned it on it sounded a little loud. I put it in reverse and the engine stalled. I was able to put it into drive and the engine stalled again. There is a clunking sound from Park to Drive. The tow truck driver drove it to load it up on a flat bed so it moves a little before stalling. The mechanic told me that I need a new transmission, but I was researching online and found Honda Recall R89.

(This is the recall: Certain driving styles can result in a broken outer race of the secondary shaft bearing inside the automatic transmission. A broken outer race may cause abnormal noise, the Check Engine Light to turn on, and contact between the transmission idle gear and an electronic sensor housing to occur. This could result in a short circuit, causing the engine to stall. Also, pieces of the outer race or ball bearing may become lodged in the parking pawl, resulting in the vehicle rolling after the driver has placed the shifter in the Park position. Dealers will update the transmission control module software to correct this concern. The Honda recall number is R89.)

It doesn’t cover my vin, but does make me wonder if this is what happened. Do you think there are any other fixes or things I should look into? It will cost $2800 for a used transmission or $4800 for a manufacture re-build. The used has a one year warranty and the re-build has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Desperate for any feedback. I am stuck where I have to get it fixed because I have a bank loan on it, but pretty sick about it.

Thanks in advance!

See if you ca find a local tranny shop that’s comfortable with Hondas and ask what a rebulid would cost.