2003 Honda accord 4cyl timing chain

My car has been stalling when I engage the clutch and the rpms drop down. The dealer claims it is the timing chain, a $1000 repair. Should I attempt this repair myself?

Get another opinion from an independent mechanic. This diagnosis is highly suspect.

When you say “engage the clutch,” do you mean step on the clutch pedal or release the clutch pedal? Is the engine stalling at idle or as you try to drive off?

What mechanical experience do you have??? This is NOT a job for a novice!!

Second…Get a second opinion. It doesn’t sound like a timing chain problem to me. You do NOT have to go the dealer for service. Find a good independent mechanic. They usually are a lot cheaper.

It stalls when changing gears etc, when you step on the clutch. I pulled a code for the cam position sensor, and replaced it. Also replaced the solenoid valve filter. The only thing that keeps it running is to put the air conditioning on full blast, which I assume keeps it idling faster…

I have some experience, I pulled a code for the cam position sensor, and replaced it. Also replaced the solenoid valve filter. The only thing that keeps it running is to put the air conditioning on full blast, which I assume keeps it idling faster…

If the engine hasn’t been kept in tune, you’re wasting your time looking for other parts to change.
A tune-up is fairly simple: change the spark plugs, air filter, pcv valve, and a few other little things (such as fuel filter) listed in the Haynes, or Chilton’s, repair manual.
After the routine maintenance has been done, take note of the symptoms, when, and where, and how, they occur, and let us know.

I would clean the idle speed control valve first.

Have you checked the idle air control valve? If it’s dirty or sticking you can have erratic idle speed or too low idle speed.

Ditto on the “tuneup”. Has it had valve lash adjustment? Should be done every 30k miles, even if the manual says less often. Tight valves will mess up idle.