2003 Chevy Astro

I drive a 2003 Chevy Astro, and about two months ago, the air system started to fritz out. When I first start the car, the front air doesn’t run at all, no matter how high I turn the air, but the rear air will run. I just leave the rear air off and the front air set to high, although nothings happening, and drive with the windows down. Then, about 10 minutes down the road, the front air suddenly comes on. I took it to the Chevy dealer. He said that the resistor had some wetness and that the connections were corroded. So, they pulled the resistor out and grabbed the replacement part, and found out that they were not the same part. So they cleaned up the original resistor and put it back in. He then told me that if the air didn’t run, just to rap on the panel under the passanger side dash. Has anybody else has a problem with this? Was there a fix?

I had a similar problem with an A/C relay for my Toyota truck. First fix was under warranty, and was explained that moisture corroded the contacts, causing the problem. Happened again when warranty ran out. I fixed it myself with a factory replacment that I selaed with some silicone, and used dielectric tune-up grease to keep moisture out of the connector. I never had the problem again.

I should have mentioned that as I was driving out the coast (a 4 hour trip), my SES light came on, about 2.5 hours in. I got the car serviced 2 days before the trip started. They changed the oil, the air filter, and topped off all the fluids. I have no idea whats going on.

Well, the guy said that wrong part was what was written as the right part, but was about 3 inches longer than the original.

I am not sure I like these SES lights. It sounds like a good idea, but unless they are reset ever time service is done, they seem to be causing more confusion than good. They are just reminders. They also can be confusing is you get part of the service done but not all, or if you get it done early.

A second problem is the SES lights are often confused with CEL (Check Engine Lights). Too few people carefully read their owner’s manuals and don’t know the difference.