2003 Chevrolet Impala won’t shift

impala
chevrolet

i have a few question actually guess my first one since its new is why is my security light staying on? why dont i have turn signals, hazard, or reverse lights? why wont my car shift into 2nd gear? the rpms rim up like i was in neutral so i have to take it to 3rd manually an even then i can only go about 30-40 mph. it use to take me going up a hill for it to kick into second gear. its always a hit an miss with it shifting but when it does she drives like a beast. thank you for you help

Check for bad relay or fuse. Read your owners manual

Quote :the rpms rim up like i was in neutral so i have to take it to 3rd manually an even then i can only go about 30-40 mph. it use to take me going up a hill for it to kick into second gear. its always a hit an miss with it shifting but when it does she drives like a beast. thank you for you help

Check transmission fluid. It could be old or has a low level

It may not be an expensive repair. Transmissions after 1990 or so are controlled electronically by the engine computer. External parts called “solenoids” are signalled by the computer to shift gears. A bad fuse, bad connector (GM is notorious for this), or burned out solenoid are all valid causes and inexpensive to repair.

Since you mention other electrical/electronic issues, I suspect this could be electronic also.