2002 Toyota Sienna Struts

The dealership indicated that the struts are showing ‘alligatoring’ and should be replaced. After about 60k miles on average urban/suburban roads, would the struts need to be replaced? Approximately what should this cost?

Please describe this alligator pattern. Typically struts need to be replaced when they start to leak fluid.

I’ve never heard the term “alligatoring”. Do they mean odd tire wear patterns caused by weak struts?
If strut replacement is needed the price can vary a lot so it’s hard to say. Price varies by the shop rates which are often based on locale, source of the parts, etc. The factory OEM struts will be more expensive than aftermarket, etc.

That sounds strange to me “alligatoring” paint maybe, but I can’t imagine what it would be on a strut.

As a side note: You don’t need to take a car to a dealer for repair. Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car. They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies. They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent.

I think he was referring to the paint on the struts and making the assumption that if the paint is begining to flake off that the struts may be starting to rust out. Or maybe thay just have an excess supply of 2002 Sienna struts that they want to move out. From what I’ve seen the struts cost about $90 ea and assuming both would be replaced their quote of $600-800 makes sense. Thanks for all the help.