2002 Mitsubishi Lancer turns over, won’t start

engine turns over but will not fire up

Check fuel pressure, check for spark. Does the fuel pump whir for a few seconds when you turn the key to the on position? You may need an assistant to listen near the fuel tank

The problem might be with a defective crankshaft position sensor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mitsubishi,2002,lancer,2.0l+l4,1382127,ignition,crankshaft+position+sensor,7196

If the computer doesn’t get a signal from this sensor while cranking the engine over, the computer see’s no reason to operate the fuel and ignition systems, so the engine doesn’t start.

Tester

Ok i have a 2003 mitsubishi lancer i did the head gasket change out im down to the timing belt i was off bout 3 teeth guestament ofcourse so i tried getting it that way buddy came along messed it up now i cant figure out how to get the combustion back in my engine what should i do

Get the timing right: the crankshaft and the camshaft(s) need to be in perfect synch. Make sure you are using the correct timing marks down on the big pulley, and make sure you have cylinder 1 at Top Dead Center on its compression stroke, not its exhaust stroke. When all that’s set correctly, check and adjust the valves.

1 Like