2002 Kia Sedona Crank Shaft Sensor

On Sat as I was driving my van just stoped running while at a stop light. I started right back up and drove about a block to the next light where it again died. However this time it took a few tries and minutes before it would restart and this time the engine light remained on. So I drove right to my local kia dealership and they ran a code check and it showed a code which was crank shaft sensor. I was told by the dealership that a van with 140,000 miles and over 9 years old can have this issue.

1. Is this true, is that kind of miles and age about when this sensor would begin to fail?
  2. What does this sensor do and why does the engine shut off?

They told me that to repair it was a bit expensive due to it’s location. They asked me if i have had my timing belt replaced. I told them I have an appointment with then in 2 weeks to get that belt changed. They suggested that if possible don’t drive the van for the next two weeks and have all the work done then as it would save me money. They said to replace both timeing belt and serpentine belt and the Crank Shaft sensor would run me about $700.

1. So does that seem like a fair price for all the labor and parts involved to do such work?

That is a fair price and dealing with the crank sensor while doing the timing belt is the smart thing to do.

However, there no code that can tell you the crank sensor itself is bad. Make sure that they actually make sure it is the sensor (rather than, for example its wiring) that is the problem before they just slap a new one on, button it all back up and then want to charge you all over again when the problem isn’t solved.

The crank sensor tells the computer where the crankshaft is in its rotation. This tells it where all of the pistons are. A signal from it is needed to time the firing of spark plugs & fuel injectors. Stalling & problems restarting are certainly things that can happen with a crank sensor problem.

Well they will have the car for 2 days, and i would think/hope that they would figure out the reason for the code during that time. Plus i would think if not fixed the car wouldn’t not run right and continue to show the code when they test drive it. I got lucky in that i was going to ahve the belts changed a few months back and didn’t get to it and thus having to repay to have it done now. I had a 97 Ford Taurus previous and it’s cam shaft sensor went bad, but it didn’t stop the engine so I was kinda spooked on this one this time.