2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - can the transmission be saved?

Hello, my rodeo sport has a transmission problem. Just trying to determine if its worth towing to a shop to get a diagnosis. Upon starting it takes a minute or so once put in to Drive (automatic Trans.) before it catches the gear. Also lost reverse gear and now the vehicle will not travel more than 20-30 mph. Is this thing totally shot or are there components to the transmission that can be replaced?

My gut is telling me it’s shot. A good independent transmission shop can tell you for sure. Bear on mind too that your Rodeo is worth maybe $5000 tops so there’s a limit to how much you’re justified in spending.

Seeing it is 18 years old it has most likely seen its better days . You have to determine if it is worth sticking another transmission in this 18 year old car . What kind of shape is the rest of vehicle in ? If it is a northern car then get rid of it .

Yes, it is shot, but only a good trans shop can tell you just how much would be involved in repairing it.
If you go to Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or–God forbid–AAMCO, you will be told that you need a new/overhauled transmission, and that would not be cost-effective with an 18 year old orphaned vehicle.

If you have a well-reputed independent trans shop in your area, it might be worthwhile to have them diagnose the problem. With any luck, they might have a repair solution that is less extreme than the approach that would come from a chain-run trans shop.

1 Like