2002 Hyundai Accent

My check engine light is on, the car is not shifting property (automatic trans), and HATES going over 60 mph. It revs too high, and it sounds as if it may just quit. It also hates 4 way stops. It does not accelerate correctly. Maybe it just hates me:( HELP ME!!! Is this going to cost an arm and a leg (possibly my first born and cat?)? I don’t want to goto the dealer, might get ripped off. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The first, and at this point obvious, thing to do is to get the codes read that are triggering the check engine light. Autozone will do it for free; get the exact code (P####) along with what they mean, and post back.

Offhand, it sounds like the transmission is slipping, but that’s merely a guess. Let’s have those codes.

The car should still be under the Hyundai powertrain warranty. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it for free. I believe this is a common problem, and requires replacing a shift solenoid.

That said, I had a similar problem with my 02 Accent (tranny not wanting to shift into overdrive) and it was fixed by me changing the transmission fluid, which was dark and burned. Now, it shifts fine with no problems at all.

It also hates 4 way stops. It does not accelerate correctly.

Why just 4 way stops. How does it know they are 4 way? :slight_smile:

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Any number of faults will cause the onboard computer to default and hold the transmission in 3rd gear. This will drastically cut acceleration and limit cruising speed. Definitely get the codes checked.