2001 Toyota Solara: Replace Window Regulator Unit with New or Used?

Here’s a picture of what the right side regulator looks like. My guess is it is inside the panel you show just above this response.

I was able to undo the entire window assembly (regulator motor and quarter panel glass) but I am still unable to pull it out of the body shell. Does anyone know if I need to remove the glass separately before I am take out the regulator motor?

If the regulator mechanism is separate from the motor, you only need to pull the motor. If you can’t disconnect the motor from the lift mechanism inside the body shell, disconnect the window from the mechanism. This is especially easy if the top is down.

The quarter window glass must be in the up position to be able to lift the regulator assembly from the quarter panel. If you are dealing with an electrical problem I wouldn’t remove the regulator unless necessary, removing the regulator will likely disturb the glass adjustment.

1 Like

Thanks @Nevada_545 and @jtsanders.

I was able to move the window up by taking the power from the driver-side window. So one problem is resolved now that I can keep the car closed and secured.

I want to share some more electrical troubleshooting that I did today to compare the passenger-side faulty back window with the driver-side working back window:

• The working window shows approx. +12V or -12V when the up or down switch is pressed
  • The working window shows approx. 5 AMP current when the up or down switch is pressed
  • The faulty window shows approx. +12V or -12V when the up or down switch is pressed
  • The faulty window shows approx. 5 AMP current when the down switch is pressed BUT 0 AMP when the up switch is pressed.
  • When the faulty window is connected to the wiring from the working window, it goes up and down properly. The movement seems to be a bit slower though.

Could this be due to a faulty relay? There are 4 separate relays to control up and down motion of both these windows. The relays are located near the driver-side back window but I haven’t tried removing or swapping them.