2001 Subaru Forester

Hey!

I just purchased a 2001 Subaru Forester and I have a question. The tires on the Forester were P205/60 R15. The sticker in the door says P205/70 R15. The manual says P205/70 R16 95S and then underneath P215/60 R16 94H. I guess the last one was if you have a different size wheel.

The tires that are on the car are in good shape. They are Goodyear and still have plenty of tread. Should I replace them with the P205/70 R15? If I don’t, are there any problems that will incur. The speedometer does read a little fast.

Thanks!

brueggen

Well, if you go back to the 205/70-15, the car will perform like it was meant to when it left the factory.

Chances are the person who owned the car before you installed the 205/60-15 in order to make the car handle a bit better around corners by reducing the sidewall height. They should have probably gone with a 215/65-15 in order to get the speedo to read out almost the same as the stock size does. That would be a good blend between the stock size, and the size that they chose to install.

The 16" sizes you are seeing are for the S version, while I believe yours is the L version.

Also, you don’t need to change the tires until they wear out, AS LONG AS all 4 tires on the car are exactly the same size, and if the spare tire is a full size spare, that it also is the same size.

BC.

Thanks!
brueggen