2001 Mitsubishi Mirage repair manual - driving without belt that connects to compressor

Unable to find a Haynes or Chilton repair manual for the 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage. Is this vehicle the “same as” another make / model? While I want the repair manual (not a factory service manual), my immediate need is this: the pulley attached to the compressor has seized up and will not turn. What are the other two pulleys that are part of the compressor belt system (maybe crankshaft, power steering)? I read one post that didn’t state this, but seemed to indicate that you can safely drive the car without this belt. Any comments on that? Thanks.

Alternator and power steering pump. The car will not run long without a belt and be hard to steer. They sell bypass pullies.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/A-C-Compressor-By-Pass-Pulley/_/R-NDP6601928_0374041405

Appreciate the link! I will be going that route for now (with the help of a knowledgeable friend). Anyone know why there is no “shade tree” mechanic repair manual out there for the 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage?

I just installed one last night. unfortunately i am going to have to bend/adjust a hole to fit my engine.

size engine ?

My car is a 2001 Mirage DE Coupe (1.5L 4-cyl 5-speed manual). The by-pass pulley as linked to by knfenimore looks like the same four bolt positions of the compressor, but at this point I do not know if the holes actually line up. I did a search and found other by-pass pulleys with different bolt configurations. Don’t know if gdawgs could use one of the other configurations, or if these bolt plates are not as universal as would first appear.

Still curious about lack of a commercially available repair manual for my vehicle.

Your cars production numbers just don’t justify the expense of designing a manual for it especially since there are no mechanically identical cars sold in this country. I had a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue that wasn’t quite similar enough to other GM cars to be included in their manuals and was only made for 4 years. There was no aftermarket manual for it either.

If your public library subscribes to Chilton Library or Alldata they might have repair information there. With my library I can access Chilton"s from home but Alldata is only available from out central library’s computers.

This car has two serp belts on it. The one for the a/c also runs the p/s and could conceivably by purchased short enough to run only the p/s.
– BUT---- I can’t tell in the belt routing diagram if you can simply miss the compressor with a shorter belt or if an idler would have been there on a car with no factory a/c.
That question can only be answered by looking there to see if a shorter , p/s only, belt will have proper routing and tension if by passing the a/c.

This is the advice I needed. Thanks to all for the input. I will probably just remove the compressor and attach the by-pass pulley. That is, unless my wife catches me, in which case I will be “encouraged” to take it to a mechanic.

I don’t tell my wife how to cook or clean and she doesn’t tell me how to fix or maintain things.

I had this same issue, same car same engine size and year, and just used a shorter belt and bypassed the A/C pulley but kept the P/S pump. Worked great for the last 9 months…Shorter belt was at autozone when researching input that your model of mirage engine was factory without ac for proper belt length.

I have no experience with this engine, but make sure you don’t inadvertently disconnect the water pump drive during your experiments. Doing that could quickly damage the engine.

BTW, it looks like you can purchase an on-line version of the repair manual from Chiltons.

http://repair.chiltondiy.com/2001/Mitsubishi/Mirage/Repair-Manual-Online

All, @cdaquila:
Remember, all we need is 5 “Flag->Spam” entries to get @freddist’s spam posts to disappear.

Got it!