2001 Mazda B3000 Engine Hesitates at 50+ MPH

My 2001 Mazda B3000 has been running sluggish lately. When I start it up in the morning, it idles very rough, but eventually smoothes out. It recently cut off while I was driving it, but immediately started, and ran fine.

At higher speeds, it seems to hesitate, as if to stall, but doesn’t actually stall.

The Check Engine light just came on, a week or so after these occurences. I used HEET in the fuel and replaced the air filter.

Before I take it in for diagnosis, and risk getting fleeced, any suggestions on how to correct this?

Thanks

Find a local auto parts store that will read your Check Engine codes for free, or loan you the tool to read them. Then post the results back here.

This will pinpoint what your problem is so somebody here can tell you how to fix it.

The Diag Trouble code is: P0301 (Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected). The repair shop recommended replacing spark plugs and the ignition coil pack, and charged me $40 for the diagnosis. I plan to replace the spark plugs myself, once I find the time. I’ll probably go on line for an ignition coil, since it’s not available in local franchised auto parts stores. I hope that’ll correct the problem I described above.