2001 Jetta Engine Light

I have just bought a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition and the check engine light and oil light came on yesterday. I took it to have the oil changed and also took it in to have the tires topped up since one was a bit low. The light went off for about 24 hours but has now come back on. The car seems to be running fine. Should I be worried??

Have the codes read then go from there.

codes were read and it was the oil.

Do you have the actual code? It should be in the format P0123. That will be a lot more informative than “it was the oil”

unfortunately I don’t have the code… that is what they told me… and of course I believed them when they said it because the light was off when I got my car back… I guess I’ll have to take it to a mechanic and have it read again. I’ll get the actual code this time… anyone know of a good mechanic in Houston?? Near the Medical Center if possible.

Oil light means turn off engine immediately(soon as possible) eg severe like it will destroy your nice little turbo engine.

It is either electrical (bad oil pressure sensor) or mechanical(poor oil pressure and anywhere from $500-engine replacement).

Have it addressed ASAP.