2001 Ford F250 7.3L Intermittent Stalling

I have a 2001 Ford F250 with 7.3L engine. It has 150,000 miles on it and ran like a top when I bought it four weeks ago. Had it inspected by a diesel mechanic, who gave me a thumbs up, said it was throwing some glow plug codes which I could address later on, and had an oil leak by the ICP sensor. The CEL was on, so I paid a diesel mechanic from a different shop put in a new ICP sensor. I drove it home 14 miles, parked it for about an hour, drove it 2.5 miles to the ranch where I keep my horses, and the truck completely shut down while idling. The batter light when on, and the truck went dead and rolled to a stop. The truck would crank over but not start. I was able to drag it and park it at the ranch, and got it start right up and drove it home in limp mode, sputtering, and trying to die. Called my original mechanic, and drove it in to look at it. I addressed the glow plug codes with new glow plug controller install, replaced the wiring harness underneath the valve cover, to address any possible shorts. Drove it back out the ranch after bringing it home, and it died in the same exact spot. Was able to make it start and was able to limp it home. Tried to deliver it to the mechanic to look at again, stopped at the ranch on the way, and the truck died completely, couldn’t get it to start. Let it cool a bit, still didn’t start. Called for a tow, and the tow truck driver couldn’t get it start. Got it to the shop,and it started right up. It has roughly a quarter tank of fuel, and it sounds like it can’t get fuel into the engine after it dies. The mechanic is not any codes on it, and can’t get it to mess up on him. I am starting to think that it is the angle or speed of the driveway leading up to the ranch. I have to let it idle and slow before making a sharp right to cross over train tracks. I am so frustrated, and terrified of having it die on me while I am driving it, any ideas???

The stalling might be caused by a defective IPR sensor. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3776967&cc=1372519

Tester

The faulty IPR sensor wouldn’t throw a code at all?

Not necessarily. If the sensor is sending a signal but it’s an erroneous signal the computer will think it’s valid signal. The computer will then adjust the IPR to that invalid signal ccausing the engine to run rough and stall.

Tester

Cool. Thank you.

This is what the engine sounded like when it shutdown last time. I couldn’t start it at the ranch, had it towed to shop and it started right up.

One more question…could a faulty IPR valve be picking up external signals? The ranch is by a power plant…it dies right after passing the power plant.

Are you saying that truck does this only at one place everytime?

Tester

Yes

Then you need to read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference

Tester

why do you keep referring to a an IPR valve but the link you provided is to an ICP sensor/ The ICP reads the oil pressure in the High Pressure Oil System. This information is then relayed to the PCM which controls the oil pressure through the IPR.