2001 Ford F150 - Oil change on time?

My wife and I have been retired for four years now. We live in midtown Little Rock and are fairly close to the areas we shop. We put about 7,000 miles on our 2007 Subaru Outback annually, and even less on our 2001 F150. We’ve always used a full synthetic oil in the Subaru, it has about 80,000 miles on it; and the Ford, with 123,000 miles, has always had regular muli-viscosity. I’ve always heard that you change your oil every 6 months or every 2000 miles for regular oil, and every 6 months or 5,000 miles for synthetic oil. On the F150, that might mean dumping an engine full of oil that has gone less than 500 miles and the biggest load was a half dozen 2 X 4’s from Home Depot. Does oil breakdown once it is removed from its container? Does this recommendation still hold? Seems very wasteful to me.

In modern times, chaning oil every 2000 miles for conventional oil is wasteful. 5000 or one year is more like it.

You are changing oil on time rather than mileage to remove moisture and the acids that can be created. I’d suggest once a year for the F150 no matter what the mileage and continue with conventional oil

1 Like

Agree! Today’s oil are so good that a once a year for an infrequently drive car is quite enough. Regular mineral oil for the truck is just fine.