2001 F150 won't start

Don’t know if this helps but I hooked up a OBD-2 scan tool and no codes showed.

Sometimes on a Ford you will lose power to the ignition / computer when you are in the spring loaded start section of the ignition key. So…it has power in the on or run position…but not in the start position.

I remember that little bugaboo drove me nuts one time.

If the crankshaft sensor is bad wouldn’t I get a code when connected to an OBDII scan tool? Is there a way to check it without pulling it, cause I know it’s a pain to get too.

No.

Read what says about the Check Engine light and a bad crank sensor.

https://www.1aauto.com/content/articles/bad-crankshaft-position-sensor-symptoms

Tester

Ok I tested the CSPS I got zero volts, so now I’m trying to get the a/c compressor out of my way, do you need to remove one of the engine mounting bolts and raise the right side of the engine to get it out of my way? Does anyone know of a trick to get out of the way to get the CSPS out?

Finally figured out the problem, it was the key, tried the spare key (that I didn’t know my son had…lol) and it started right up. Thanks for all the help it was greatly appreciated. Hope this might help someone else.

Thanks for the followup OP. That’s a weird key-related problem. The key/ignition switch works enough to create some sparks at the plugs, allowing it to run briefly as long as you spray starter fluid; but doesn’t work well enough to trigger the injectors. If someone phoned into the Car Talk radio show with this problem, Tom and Ray would be saying "Doesn’t anyone screen these calls!! ?? " :wink: Hopefully you didn’t have to remove the crank position sensor, that’s good news.

My understanding is (I may be wrong, as I usually am…lol), that since the chip in the key went bad it tripped the theft sensor causing the computer only to shut down the fuel pump, I may be way off base but that’s how it was explained to me.

That makes sense. Hard to believe a problematic ignition switch would behave that way, but a faulty security system could well misbehave in that manner.

Start and stall is the typical reaction when using what the immobilizer recognizes as an invalid key. There should be a “Theft” indicator light on in the instrument cluster.

There is, I didn’t notice it when the problem first started, wish I would have it would of saved the hairs that I have left on my head, when I did notice it, it was giving me code 15, never did find out what that code was though.

Most diagnostic codes start with a P. But there’s no P015 code. There’s a reference to a manufacturers code “15” for the f150 2001, seems to be related to the air bags, seat belts, restraints control module.

Only powertrain faults begin with a “P”, there are thousands of other faults that don’t begin with a “P”. Security system or immobilizer faults would not begin with a P.