2001 f-150 on second replacment engine and still having troubles

More importantly regarding the EGR is that it is a system made up or 3 distinct parts (and that’s even if you exclude the computer control). The valve itself is vacuum actuated - that means there is a vacuum solenoid. The computer tells that when to operate. In addition, the is a sensor - this tells the computer about exhaust pressure and if the valve has actuated like it was supposed to. EGR system problems should set error codes…and they will…eventually… Of course, this assumes (as Rod Knox mentioned) that the tapping may be preignition.

My daughter has a 2006 Toyota Rav4 , the engine went at 70000 miles even though she had the oil changed with synthetic every 5000 miles and the car had never burned any oil between changes. The car was out of oil 2000 after the last oil change and the oil light never came on.

Toyota offered no assistance because she was out of warranty so she had her local garage install a Jasper engine. The first engine the garage put in leaked oil from the head and after much prodding the garage put in another Jasper engine. This one runs lousy, idling high, low and stalling. The garage keeps working on it and this has been going on for many months.

Sometimes it runs ok for a week or so and then goes back to stalling. When you send a Jasper engine back they examine it and you only get the replacement free if Jasper agrees that there was something wrong with the first one.

There were so many Rav4 and Camry engines gone bad that there were none to be had from a wrecking yard.

cigroller and Red, what do you mean by “preignition” on the tapping? this tapping has no pattern. sometimes it happens, some times not, sometimes cold, sometime warm, sometimes cold thru warm. sometimes it does it, then stops after I get somewhere and start the truck again…aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Well, there’s a whole a whole family of stuff under abnormal combustion and the terminology gets confusing. “Preignition” is technically when the air fuel mixture is ignited before its supposed to be. And then there’s knocking/pinging which is technically different but also has to do with the combustion going wrong.

Anyway - does the noises sound sort of like a bunch of marbles being shaken around in a can? And is it maybe more likely under a bit of load like going up a hill? These things can be caused by elevated temps in the combustion chambers, which itself can be caused by a screwy EGR system. The EGR cools the combustion chambers by reducing O2 in the intake. If it doesn’t open appropriately and flow appropriately you’ll end up leaning out - and then with higher combustion temps.

I’m not even sure that I think it’s likely to be related. But given that this is the second Jasper, then I’m thinking about peripherals. And you mentioned the EGR valve having been replaced. But the EGR is only one part of the system.

forgot to mention that someone told me the exhaust smells very lean. what would this mean?

It means someone is trying to sound knowledgable without the knowledge.
“Lean” exhaust would be comprised of air, lower amounts of carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide, and some NOx. You won’t smell a “lean” exhaust.

oldtimer

Can I assume your daughter’s RAV4 has the 4 cylinder 2AZ-FE engine?

I’ve logged onto the Toyota for-pay technical website several times over the years

Anyways, everything seems to indicate that the 2AZ-FE has is far more problematic than the 1MZ-FE and 2GR-FE V6 engines

Various mechanical problems, which I’m not going to get into right now

Unless someone specifically asks

I fully well realize that most 2AZ-FE owners will be lucky. But the existence of so many really disturbing TSBs relating to mechanical problems gives me pause . . .

not exactly what a new engine should sound like. any thoughts now that you can hear the noises. i’ll send a video of the shimmy it has now. never had a smooth idle since I got rid of the factory engine. thanks.

idle gets much worse in warm weather.

DB4690- yes she has the 4 cylinder, but that ship has already sailed. I only posted to share her problems with Jasper engines.

Has anyone tried the obvious–doing a compression test on the “new” engine with it warmed up? That will rule out the mechanical side of it. (mostly)

oldtimer

I can post a genuine Toyota TSB, related to oil consumption for that engine you mentioned

It’s quite possible that the Jasper remanned engines use the same components which led to excessive oil consumption in the first place . . .

Not saying anyone is at fault, I just can’t believe none of the mechanics can locate such a major problem. Jasper used to build a good engine - I wonder if that’s still the case? Is it possible for the rebuilds to not be any good? Also curious about the short block vs long block. If it was a long block, I’d strongly suspect something wrong inside the rebuild.

I’m probably of little to no help on this as there are so many unknowns and not having hands-on the truck. The first step for me would be to run a compression test and especially based on the comment about Jasper stating the valves were leaking.
A properly rebuilt 4.6 should have about 190 PSI on all cylinders.

As to your question about whether or not an engine can be bad from the reman facility, the answer is yes it can. These are done assembly line style and they’re not hand built to perfection.
There could be a brief run of extreme sloppiness or even sabotage by a disgruntled employee who may not even be employed there anymore.

There used to be a couple of large (one VERY large) reman facilities in OK City and the smaller one especially was prone to a number of problems. I’ve had the dubious honor of installing some of their work and having to put up with the aftermath.
One Chevrolet 350 was burning oil to the tune of a quart per 20 miles and after much denial on the company’s part it was determined that NONE of the 8 pistons had been fitted with oil control rings. At all.
The epitome of pure slop or outright sabotage by a ticked off and now ex-employee…

My feeling is that it was the latter but when you’re advertising for engine builders at not much more than minimum wage and stating “no experience necessary” there will be some hiccups in the process… :frowning:

Another example involved an outfit out of Tulsa and I was privy to info that out of one particular batch of 75 VW engines about 70 something of them were returned. I installed one of them for a customer and it blew up about 200 miles later due to a manufacturing flaw which I found upon teardown. The money was refunded but it cost me a lot of time, aggravation, and money.

Yeah

As far as I know, mechanics don’t get compensated for lost time due to faulty parts

I never did, in any case

and still working on getting the sounds posted. having file conversion problems

and still working on getting the sounds posted. having file conversion problems