2001 Dodge Neon - ECU Fuse

So I am not a car person at all so please excuse me for my poor knowledge and there will probably be some errors in this post :slight_smile:

So I have a 2001 Dodge Neon SE and every time you turn on the car the ECU fuse blows. It first blew when we were actually driving down the freeway, the car lost acceleration so we pulled on the side of the road and turned the car all the way off. Then we couldn’t turn the car back on (only the radio, dash lights came on).

So we towed the car to my husband’s fathers house (because it was close by). My father-in-law knows a little bit about cars and he has looked over the car and he noticed that the ECU fuse blew so he replaced it with the correct fuse which was a 10 (or maybe a 15, sorry I don’t remember if he said it was a 10 or 15).

Each time he started the car it would blow that new fuse. We bought a dodge neon repair manual at autozone but the ECU diagram in the manual is vague and not very specific. We called Dodge/Chrystler and they suggested it was the ECU wiring that is having a problem but we are having a hard time finding a correct diagram.

We tried putting a 20 fuse in and the car starts and works fine but I am worried that having a bigger fuse (even if it is only 5-10 bigger) will damage/cause fire.

Overall, we just need some help figuring this out. We don’t really want to take it to a mechanic because of the price it would cost. I would like to see what you all think first, see if we can fix it ourselves and use the auto mechanic as a last option.

Again, sorry is some of the car lingo and stuff is incorrect, I am not car savvy. I will let my husband know I posted this when he gets home so he can ad his input as he knows more about cars than I do. Thanks.

You basically do just need to get a wiring diagram for the car and start tracing out and checking all of the wiring. I’m not sure how the diagram in the manual could be “vague” - wiring diagrams give you components, wire colors & connections. The only thing, I suppose, that could be vague is that they are schematic - not physically mapped to actual locations/contours/routes in the car. You just figure that part out visually.

In any case, if you need a better wiring diagram you could try your local library - see if they can get you access to ALLDATA or something of that nature. Many public library systems have such access.

I would not try to get by with a bigger fuse for exactly the reservations that you mention. You just need to stop driving it until you figure it out.