2000 Volkswagen Beetle Buy or Not?

Just a quick background…I am single mom wanting to buy a dependable used car for a reasonable price. I found a 2000 Volkswagen Beetle with 113,000 miles for under $4000, which is my price range. Outside and inside looks good, just regular wear and tear for an 8yr old car. Carfax came back good too.I wanted to know if anyone recommends or not? Just need a good car. I’m scared I’m going to get a “lemon”. Any info would be helpful.

Any car any from any manufacturer can turn into a “lemon.” Other than poor maintenance, the usual problems are just poor luck. While some makes do have more problems than other makes or models, luck plays a much larger role and poor maintenance is the biggest cause.

VW is not at the top of the list of cars when it comes to reliability and their dealer network does not rank very well overall. That said, I have bought three VW products and still have my last purchase. I have not almost no problems with any of them and I have keep them (all except the current one) over 130,000 miles and 13 years. I also have a good dealer, so they are not all bad.

What I can’t do is to assure you that you will be lucky or not. In any case, I wish you the best of luck with your choice, no matter what it is.