2000 toyota corolla evap code

i just bought this corolla from a friend;it has 20-kmiles on it and the check engine light is on and the codes are evaporative system,etc;i have a mechanic that will fix the evap codes for alittle over $500.00;however ths inspection date will not be due til summer;it also could use some tires;my question is should i take care of evap codes now or get tires??will it hurt engine running with evap system failure,etc

I can’t make a guess as to what ‘codes are evaporative system, etc’ means. Having the exact codes can help us give you better advise. There are dozens of codes about the evap system.

With a 10 yo car with only 20K miles, this car has done a lot of sitting around, not being driven. I’m going to guess that the codes may have more to do with leaks detected. This is common, as the vacuum lines tend to age and crack.

Also, the possible damage to the car can only be determined if we knew what the actual codes are. However, most evap problems just mean your polluting more, letting gasoline fumes escape to the atmosphere. Tires are typically more important, since they are a safety feature.

You need to post on here what he is going to fix for $500 and how he knows that is the problem.

What I’d do is go to AutoZone or someplace similar and buy a cheap Scanner that will read and clear your codes … And a gascap … or just a gascap gasket if your mechanical skills extend to prying the old gasket off and slipping the new one on. The Scanner will cost about $70 give or take maybe $10. If you buy one that does CAN as well as whatever your Toyota uses (probably ISO-9141) the scanner will probably work with your next car as well.

I’d then replace the gas cap and clear the code(s) using the scanner. If you are lucky, the problem was due to air leaking past the ancient gas cap gasket – which the diagnostic system can’t distinguish from a hole in the gas lines and the code won’t come back.

If codes do come back, research them and decide what to do. A caution – there are a number of codes associated with the evaporative emissions system. They are not noted for being especially accurate about which component has failed. Other than the gas cap which should be dirt cheap, you would do well to avoid financing a parts hanging expedition with your mechanic serially replacing parts until he finds one that makes the problem go away.

ok the actual evap codes are 440,441,446,and i have replace gas cap with new one,and rset codes;they have come back;there’s no suction when i open gas cap;the mechanic said he would replace charcoal canister and 2 vsv valves to fix;thanks for all the suggestions

I had more or less the same codes on my 2002 Sienna. On the Sienna Club, now gone, I learned that some owners had problems with Autozone et al replacement gas caps. I did, too, in addition to the actual problem. It seemed like a number of people who had tried Brand X caps said to buy the correct Toyota cap if available.

I also learned from a man who had two Siennas, and swapped parts until he found the problem that the canister assembly was the problem.

Mine only failed about once a week, sometimes it went a very long time without failing. When I had the canister replaced it has not failed again. When you do not have a scanner, you can not reset so don’t really know how often it happens as I was able to do.

The man who found the problem looked over the old canister assembly, and said it looks like there are low pressure valves there, not run by the computer, and his theory was they get sticky.

I was unable to find the algorithm used by the Sienna, but did find a GM one. It only runs the test when the engine is not too hot nor too cold, outside temps not too cold or hot. What it does is “pump some vacuum into the tank”, (that is, suck out some air until there is a vacuum) close everything down, and measure the vacuum after a certain time. If it is too low, it calls a failure.

What your repair guy is doing is called throwing parts at it hoping it will work.
You need to find someone who can check and test parts before buying.

Toyota put out TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) EG005-01, dated April 21, 2001, titled “EVAP System Operation Information”. It has information a mechanic needs to understand the EVAP system. To get to the TSB, check your public library’s online subscription to ARRC (Auto Repair and Reference Center). Ask a librarian.