2000 Toyota Camry with strut/spring problem (among other things*)

Ask your shop if they will install OEM shock assemblies. It might be worth a little extra if you plan to keep the car for a while.

@db4690‌, AAA has their own repair shops now. There is one about 20 miles from me.

@jtsanders‌

About those AAA shops . . . are the shop owners franchisees?

How does it work?

Does the shop owner adhere to AAA’s strict guidelines?

I know where you were, the drone filmed it all.

If you are talking to the vo tec, they may not do it, but might be able to give you the name of a student that could use a little spending money and would be happy to come do it at your place. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do it but does require someone with some aptitude and a tools. An automotive student either at the vo tec or high school level might be a good option. You can throw in cookies too if you want.

Pvt, look into the attached link

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/default.aspx

What you’ll discover in looking through the various exploded view drawings is that Toyota Camrys all use coilover shocks in the rear and struts in the front.

The difference can be seen in the parts. A strut will control the travel of the hub through its suspension range. It’ll have two bolts at the bottom end of the damper for solid attachment to the knuckle or hub, and no upper control arms, simply a solid mount on a frame member for the strut’s top. There will not be bushings at the connection between the hub/knuckle, it’ll be a solid attachment.

A coilover will have control arms at both the top and bottom of the shock & spring assembly. Camrys use A-frames on the bottoms, and a single control arm up top. . The coilover will have one bolt in a bushing at each end of the assembly.

A 2000 Camry has struts all around:

@insightful‌

I hate to burst your bubble . . .

But that was a 2007 . . . if not newer . . . Camry in that illustration

Okay, hows about this reference?:

http://www.toyotaoempartsworld.com/parts/2000/Toyota/Camry/XLE/?siteid=215233&vehicleid=85909&section=REAR%20SUSPENSION

Deleted, video already posted.

I looked again at the exploded view drawing for the 2000 Camry rear suspension and this does in fact appear to be a strut. I stand corrected. Toyota over the years has apparently used both configurations.