2000 Subaru Outback clutch is soft for the first inch

Update: I took it into a Subie mechanic and they think it’s most likely a worn V clip or a crack in the clutch fork. Hard to confirm until the transmission is pulled.

Thanks again for all of the feedback - I’ll most likely have the work done by these Subie guys.

Always a good policy when in doubt, it’s difficult to diagnose subtle problems vis forum and advice here is “worth what one pays for it”.

Have you looked at the subaruoutback.org forum? There are many more active Subaru owners there and it includes sub-forums by model. Although we no longer own Volvos, I still consult the forus swedishbricks.net for general information, I particularly liked the section on “how to make your Volvo last forever” for its preventative maintenance advice, like changing certain parts (pressurized plastic and rubber cooling system parts, water and fuel pumps, etc. on a schedule vs. when they break down on some lonely highway), at least for cars you depend upon.

Best wishes

| Subie1984
May 28 |

• | - |

Hey Ken,

The vehicle shifts great without catching, grunts or grinding, but again I’m an amateur and might not be picking up on the small signs.

I’m going to take it to a more experience mechanic and see what they say. I’ll let you guys know what the verdict is.

Thanks for all the help

For what it’s worth I’ve worked for 3 Subaru dealers over the years and have seen clutch issues caused by throwout bearing and transmission snouts.
I have never seen a cracked clutch fork or spring issue. Not to say it cannot happen; only that I have never personally seen an example of it.

Any grinding going into reverse? If so, that’s a pilot bearing issue.

Just an FYI, but an inch of pedal sounds a bit excessive. That could be caused by a worn clutch disc which in turn could also cause a clutch to grab at times; especially if there are burn marks on the flywheel and/or pressure plate. Hope that helps in some way.

Right on - I’m not very experienced with clutch/transmission troubleshooting, so any thoughts help! Every now and then I’ll get a small grind/catch when going into reverse, but not on a regular basis.

I’d like to take the transmission off and attempt to troubleshoot further, but since I only have one car (and need to be into work on Monday), I’ll probably get it into the shop and have it done right the first time. The vehicle has 173,000 miles on it, so I assume this is normal wear and tear that finally needs to be addressed.

Worn out diaphragm fingers on the clutch pressure plate can cause a soft pedal for the first inch.

Tester

at 173k miles the clutch has had a good life. Many have been replaced long before that mileage.
Make sure the shop checks that transmission snout and uses a repair sleeve even if the snout is not a problem.
And also a new pilot bearing.

1 Like