2000 Saturn Sl-1 with 141,000 miles

We own a 2000 Saturn with 141,000 miles. In the past few months the car has needed about $1500 worth of repairs (new radiator, new starter, a/c compressor and drier). My husband drives the car daily for work. Most of his travel is local, but 2 times a month he needs to drive out of town (2 hours there/2 hours back) for his job. We’d like the car to last at least another year, preferably a year and a half before buying something new. Is there a good chance his car will last this length of time with driving these distances or would it make more sense to rent a car for longer trips and keep the driving local. Thanks for the input!

Long distance trips are generally easier on the car. But he should have a plan for when/if the car breaks down. Now this is also a possibility with a brand new car, it is just the odds that are different.

Cars don’t break down much anymore without giving some warning signs. No reason you can’t make 200,000 miles without a major engine or transmission problem (if you maintain it well.) Parts wear out though. Don’t be surprised to put $1,000 per year in repairs/maintenance/brakes/tires, etc. to keep it on the road.

It can last another year. It depends on your stomach for when repairs/maintenance happens.

Will it be trouble free? The odds are stacked against it in mileage and age. Older vehicles on average cost more to maintain/repair.

That all being said if it does break down use plan B as other said. No need to waste money on renting cars when your works. If it breaks down you can rent.

I have an 02 with 238k miles and I’ve had less trouble with mine than you have had with yours. I would not hesitate for a second to jump in it and drive across the country.

I am a little surprised that the CV joint boots haven’t split on you yet. Ten years seems to be the limit for these and when they go, they allow dirt and grit to get into the CV joints and wears them out very fast. When you hear a clicking when cornering, then you will need new axles. That will run you about $800, but it won’t disable the car immediately. You could go several months before the axles get in danger of breaking, so you can schedule that repair in advance, and shop for a good deal.

When this happens, I suggest that you look for a mechanic that will install new EMPI axles instead of remanufactured axles. The remans are just trouble where the new EMPIs are only a few dollars more (about $20 ea), just as good as OEM, but cost a whole lot less.