2000 pontiac grand am 2.4L engine starting problem

I agree with cigroller, I believe you have diesel fuel in the tank.
It is difficult to start a cold gasoline engine on diesel fuel, after it is warm it will ping and backfire.

You may get the engine to fire with starting fluid or brake cleaner, if there is diesel fuel in the system it will smoke like an old two stroke engine when it is cold.

That’s water from the exhaust with a high unburned hydrocarbon content. (unburned gas)

Locate the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail and unplug the vacuum hose from the regulator. If gas leaks out of this connection the fuel pressure regulator is leaking and requires replacement.

If gas is sucked into the intake on a GM vehicle with the wasted spark ignition system, the engine will be hard to start, miss, and backfire.

Tester

sorry been supper busy, the starter went out it was spinning but when it engaged the starter it would slip. because the Bendix gear was shoot. it would spin in both directions. but i did learn how to rebuild a starter and it only cost me 15bucks.

now i finally took the car to the auto parts store since it will start now. and got the code it was throwing. it has a p0300 code. random misfire. im kinda thinking about ordering a intake manifold gasket, spark plug boots, a used housing with coils and maybe fuel injectors. not sure what else it could be. plugs are new. i dont no if the fuel pump would do this. ill also do the tested on here b4 i place my order. i did pull the line to the fuel pressure regulator no fuel came out. since there was oil on the threads of the first plug i pulled do u think that could be my problem leakin valve cover gasket

Did you drain the fuel tank, etc? Check the fuel pressure regulator?

that’s my next step. i do no that there are 4 plugs and number 1 and 3 are the ones thats fouled. the other 2 look good still as they should there new. so would that still be a fuel issue since its those 2 and not all 4? thanks. and if the coils were bad would it take out two like that or all i think there are 2 coils not sure though. i dont no if i can test so see if im gettin spark there with a spark plug tester light. ill try though.

i put the tester on the 2 plugs that were fouled out and the tester showed it was getting spark, both were. so i tested each prong that goes to the coils and all 4 lite up. so its not the coils and i am getting spark at the other 2 that were not fouled as well. so im going to go get the pump so i can pump the tank. but b4 i do ill clean the pugs and start her again to make sure. maybe i fouled the 2 out cranking it when i was trying to see what was wrong with the starter. Thanks again and ill let u the results as soon as i get back. also can i siphon some of the gas and add it to my push mower and see if it runs to tell if its bad gas or diesel gas even though i got it at a regular pump at the marathon by my house which i always go there.

so i cleaned the plugs it ran a little better. then decided to do a smoke test for vacuum leaks then my homemade smoker messed up lol. so i decided to blow on the hose to the booster to see if i could hear air nothing. so then i grabbed the hose on the front of the engine and blow on it. and air was hissing located it at the intake manifold gasket. found exactly where it was leaking from. so ill be ordering one of them and that should solve my problem ill keep you all posted thanks again

ok got the misfire and the shaking engine takin care off. it was the intake manifold gasket leak. also changed the boots for the spark plugs. i have one more problem. it still runs sluggish but better. i let it run and saw it start smoking looked under the car and the pipe was red. that’s unburnt fuel from running rich. could it be the ignition control module? and the fuel check out good its not bad fuel or diesel fuel

here is a pic. thee is no ceck engine light on either

it was red behind converter and slow got red in front of resonator

my problem was a lean condition, i replaced both ignitions coils and the ignition control module and that fixed my problem. i also replaced the plastic cover that the coils were in could have had a crack in that as well. thanks again everybody for helping me with my problem i greatly appreciated it

Thanks for the update

So the bad coils led to misfiring, which led to excess unburned oxygen, which caused the lean codes . . .

Interesting

yep and the small intake manifold vacuum leak.