2000 Mazda Protege 1.6l wont start after timing belt change

2000 Mazda Protege 1.6l
Just replaced timing belt, tensioner, idler, water pump, plugs and coil packs

I have checked the timing about 10 times before puting everything back together by rotating the engin clockwise. No stiff point and marks lining up perfectly every time.

Though when I turn the key in the ignition, the engine cranks but doesn’t start.

Can’t really check the sparks cause I am on my own, but seems like the spark plugs in 1 and 3 are wet with fuel and 2 and 4 are dry.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks lots

Update, I just checked the spark plugs and no sparks in 1 & 3 wich are linked by wires. And 2 & 4 which are right under the coil pack seem to fire.

Thanks

Bad wires? They may be leaking spark. Try replacing them.

OK, got it !

I just put the crank pickup plate the wrong way because I didn’t notice it had a particular way on.

all is back on, running smooth.

Thanks !!!

I would think of buying newer car

@Cavell, why? If it was a simple reassembly error, and virtually a no cost fix, what would make you lean to bailing out?

None lives forever. Why not get the best car available?

@Cavell‌

The guy figured out his mistake, the car is running well again. And he just changed the timing belt, so that’s good to go for a few more years

Why get rid of it just now?

Assuming the car’s in reasonable shape and long ago paid for, it makes sense to keep driving it for a few more years. As long as it keeps passing safety and smog inspections

My brother kept driving his old car for several years, even though he didn’t like it. But it allowed him to save quite a bit of cash for that next car

And I offer a tip of the hat to the OP for a job well done.
It’s very rare when an OP knows enough to go back over his/her work with an open mind when the expected results don’t happen.