2000 Jeep Cherokee

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I have about 130,000 miles on the jeep. I have taken it to 3 repair shops because my check engine light is on and the jeep will not start all the time. The last place I took it too said it was the starter and it needed a new battery. Now the repair guy is telling me I have to spend $2600.00 for the cataltic caverter to be replaced because it is not working? I believe the repair guy got the check engine light off. I told him not to replace the cataltic caverter. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here. It likely will have a format like P1234.

Thanks very much for your reply. I will get the number and send it to you. That was very nice of you to reply so quickly. Thanks a million.

The computer print out was P0420. The mechanic said I needed to replace the cataltic caverters for $2,600.00 to correct this problem. Please HELP! The Jeep has 130,000 miles on it. Replaced battery, starter etc.
Check engine light on.