2000 Honda Civic needs an engine fan

I own a Honda Civic 2000 with about 200000 miles. It needs a fan for its engine. I need another year, but need to know is it worth fixing. I have already put about $700 worth of parts…

Your local scrap yard is a good place to find one.

1 Like

RockAuto.com has them for very little money, as low as $23.

1 Like

Replace the fan. It is an easy do it yourself job.

Yosemite

If you want to be an extreme cheapskate, you can even replace just the motor and reuse the fan blades

1 Like

db4690

October 18

If you want to be an extreme cheapskate, you can even replace just the motor and reuse the fan blades

If the routine maintenance has been kept up to date (per Honda’s recommendations in the owner manual), and it hasn’t been driven super-aggressively or in extreme environments, even at 200K your 2000 Civic should still have a good deal of life left. The decision is a balance between the cost of repairs and the inconvenience of not having its use while at the shop vs the hassle of a new car purchase, new car payments, and higher registration and insurance fees. I’d suggest a figure of merit to base the decision is to compare the cost of expected repairs for the next 18 months vs the costs of the above payments and fees over that same period. Take the path that is lowest in cost.

Is this a serious question? Even a car which is a total rust bucket, and barely runs would be worth the cost of a cooling fan assembly, even if it only extends the life by a few months. We are not talking about an engine rebuild, or a new transmission which costs thousands of dollars; we are talking about an electric fan assembly which costs less than $100–a fraction of ONE month’s car payment. This is a very easy DIY repair, btw.