2000 Galant Fuel Pump Issues

OK this one might be easy but it might be hard. My mechanic and I are at a loss. We are using a 2000 Galant as a race car and we had an issue with fuel delivery and we didnt hear the pump kick on so we bought one used and replaced it and still nothing. So we thought bad relay. We swapped the fan relay with the fuel pump relay as they are the same and still got nothing. We used a test light one them in the fans place and the light came on. neither worked for the fuel pump. We used the test light to keep the relay open and turned the key to the “On” position and the pump came on and we were able to start the car and the car continued to run. Shut the car off and we have to do the same thing. We swapped the relays again and still the same results. I was then checking things that had been recently replaced and the ground on the starter was loose so I took it off to clean it. In the mean time the igntion was turned to the “on” position again and the fuel pump ran without us having to open the relay. Reconnect the ground and the pump stopped. So the problem is…do we have a bad relay…bad ground…or is it something else? There are no codes in the computer except for a bad O2 sensor and thats due to it being a race car there is no exhaust on it anymore. if anyone might have some ideas that I can try we are all ears and are willing to try almost anything as long as it wont cost us a fortune. Again this is a race car so some parts are missing…exhaust is cut at the cat, AC system is gone, power steering is gone, dash and guages are gone. If you need anything else let me know and Ill check it as soon as I can.

Since this car has been gutted to some extent, and based on prior questions about a non-charging alternator, I hate to even make a guess at this one.

The ECM provides a ground for the fuel pump relay. It provides an intial ground when the key is first turned on and the ground becomes permanent when the engine starts due to a pulse provided to the ECM by the electronic ignition module.

You have the option of tracking this problem down with the aid of a wiring schematic or by wiring around it. I think I have a schematic so I’ll take a look at it this evening and post back.
All cars are set up like this due to Federal regulations. These regulations require the fuel pump to cease running when the engine stops in the event of a wreck or whatever. This prevents the pump from continuing to pour gasoline onto an underhood fire, etc.
Of course, if the race car crashes…