2000 Daewoo Nubira (manual trans) Shudders during acceleration

I’m driving in Egypt and for the last week the car has increasingly been shuddering during acceleration. The mechanic thinks its just bad gas, but I’m worried it might be the timing belt. What is the damage of inflicting engine damage if i use up the current tank before trying to find other problems?
Should I completely use up the current tank, or can I fill it up now (about a third of the tank is left) thus diluting any possible bad gas?

Thanks,
Stuttering in Cairo

Hopefully, to put your mind at a bit of ease, IF it was the timing belt…it wouldn’t be running right, ever. Having said that, how many miles are on this Deawoo, and does the belt need to be serviced?? I don’t know what engine you have, but if it has a belt, they do require replacement every X miles or X years.

If it really is bad gas, I would just fill now. You don’t want to cause any damage, and diluting it now will help. You can always dilute again at another 1/3rd tank.

Chaissos is correct. The timing belt should not affect how the engine runs until the point at which it snaps–without warning. More likely is that poor maintenance is the cause of the shuddering while accelerating. Spark plugs, plug wires, and the fuel filter are some of the items that may need replacing.

Another possibility is that your fuel system may be gummed up. A bottle of one of the more potent fuel system cleaners may clear up the problem. I have no idea of what products are sold in Egypt, but if Chevron’s Techron product is available, I can recommend it highly. Shell also has a very good fuel system cleaner available in bottles, although I can’t recall the name of the product. Others, like the STP products, are not very effective.

If my memory serves me correctly, the replacement interval for Daewoo timing belts is every 6 years or 72,000 miles, whichever comes first. By that measure, if the belt is the original, you are treading on very thin ice with the belt in this 10-11 year old car. Since it has an interference design engine, when the timing belt snaps it will result in engine damage that would cost more to repair than the car is worth.

If you hope to keep driving this car, you should have the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and all belt tensioners replaced right away. While it is in the shop for those procedures, have the mechanic bring all of the periodic maintenance up to date, and your shuddering problems should be over.

Shutters on acceleration could be all kinds of things. Have you ruled out a clutch problem? Did you check the motor and transmission mounts?

A problem with shutters is best dealt with by a carpenter.
;-))

However, if the car shudders on acceleration, another possibility is that there could be clutch issues and/or mount issues, as Uncle Turbo has pointed out.

This car sounds like it has not had much attention from a competent mechanic in quite some time, and since Daewoos were…how can I say this diplomatically…not exactly the pinnacle of automotive engineering excellence, a lack of maintenance and/or deferring repairs is…not wise.

It sounds as if you may have worn the clutch out prematurely. If you have the habit of resting your right hand on the gear-shift lever while driving, that would explain why. If you have this habit, get rid of it. Keep both hands on the steering wheel while driving.
I am guessing Egypt is a fairly flat country, that you don’t have many hills to climb with your car. If so that would explain how you managed to wear a clutch plate out as far as to feel vibration during normal acceleration. If the car is harder to shift now and the clutch petal feels abnormal (and more work to use now), you need to have the clutch assembly overhauled, And then keep your right hand off of the gear shift.