2 types of Brake caliper pistons?

My 71 Saab had the parking brake on the front wheels, too. It was the drum in rotor design, not in the caliper. The reason I figured was because a front parki g brake was much more effective than rear on a FWD car. And both Saab and Subaru are “different” kinds of cars!

1 Like

Well, that’s the problem. A lot of the answers come from individuals that are not experienced. Sometimes that advice is inane and wildly incorrect. There’s no way for the person asking the question to know if the answer is coming from someone knowledgeable or from someone that just replies to every question, whether they actually know what they’re talking about or not. That just confuses the person that poses the original question. Believe it or don’t, it happens here. That’s why for questions of this nature an encyclopedia is the better choice.
But the choice is yours.

Many times the question that a person asks could be answered on the Web by a verified source ib less time than it takes to create a login.

Because the internet and or Google is never wrong… I have found wiki to have incorrect info on it before dealing with a vehicles drivetrain (and I am not nearly as smart or educated as most on here)… I don’t remember so don’t ask, but I showed it on here about a question George had and he looked it up and was given incorrect information at one point…

On a forum like this one, Yes you can get a wrong answer, but others step in to correct it, if it turns into a debate then you can do your own research to make your own conclusion, right or wrong…

So yes, Google is your friend, but not your best friend, it does give out incorrect info from time to time…

4 Likes

It would be nice if whoever runs/owns this forum (admin) would put something under our avatars showing the level of experience from: Novice, DIYer, Tech and Master Tech, (or whatever) either by wording or by number of wrenches… A lot of forum are set up that way so you know if the info is coming from a pro or not… Might need to add a Jester for the 1st one since we have some of those on here also… lol

1 Like

The web site already informs you who might be answering your question on the home page.

It’s up to the person posing the question to determine who’s answering it.

Tester

How would it be verified? You still would only have the word of the poster. In time you get to have a good idea who is posting good answers and who is not.

Why did this get flagged? What part is inappropriate, or offensive?

Earned over time maybe… A panel of members would discuses it in a group chat and assign after the new member has made X number of post, it doesn’t take long to know who is what after reading a few post… lol
Would it be perfect, nope, but it would be better than we have now, nothing…

I never said it was a perfect idea… lol

As mentioned above, there’s no way to verify the info provided by a forum user, but some years ago everyone who posts regularly was asked to post a brief summary of their car repair experience. Those posts probably still exist somewhere on the forum . Where? No idea. I concur w/DMP that folks posting here w/questions would benefit if they could view of a summary of the replier’s prior experience. I believe it is already possible for someone to see how many months a poster has been actively posting here. Checking that would provide at least some verified info about the poster’s experience.

However If the objective is to attract more folks to use the forum, I don’t think the experience factor is the main problem.

I remember that thread about a persons qualifications. Some of those were such lies and false certificates it was almost comical .

Never mind, I can’t say what I need to say without hurting feelings on here… lol
But it can be done to a point, and those that know, know…

And post count would basically have nothing to do with the rankings, after X amount of post anyway, if I say anything else it will get flagged…

I expect the vast majority of posters here already know that the best way to fix what ails their car is to take it to a professional shop. They post here just to get other ideas tp discuss w/their shop. They also must know that anyone who replies here could be an 8 year old kid just killing time while waiting for their school bus. Or it might be a bot, not an actual person.

I also expect that many people who post here are not so much interested in repairing t cars, but to learn better how the technology works.

One solution that’s available now without any changes needed to the forum software is for the poster asking the question to say in the title they only want responses from professional mechanics. It might take some time to get used to it, but eventually we diy’ers and otherwise non-pros would figure out to not post in those threads. This “pros only” request should appear in the title b/c the title of the thread always appears at the top of the page, irrespective of the scroll position…

I don’t see any flags on either of them… strange…

I am not a professional mechanic but there is nothing to stop me from replying as if I were.
Give it up George.

I don’t see any flags either, but maybe only the poster is able to see flags given by others to their posts.

In any event, I don’t see any reason for a flag as the post currently appears. But it was edited, so maybe something to do w/that.

Absolutely davesmopar. I recall being embarrassingly wrong here and corrected by someone who likely had less training and experience than me whose post I acknowledged after a determined search to verify it.

2 Likes