CarTalk.com Best of Deals Car Reviews Repair Shops Cars A-Z Radio Show

2 Questions about 1999 Olds Silhouette Van

I had two issues with this van this week…first crazy thing was I use the power outlet to plug in my GPS and when I pulled the cord out of outlet the nipple end of charger cord stayed in the outlet. How do I get this piece out of the outlet without getting shocked and can I do without unhooking battery connection, which I don’t know if I can do??? Can I pull fuse???

2nd issue. Drove van for a long distance about 2 hrs (2 different days) shut the van off and went into a restaurant for about 1/2 hour. When I went to turn key it hesitated like car didn’t want to turn over and the lights on the console (battery…etc on left side kind of flickered off and on) but it started and ran fine. Battery is only 1 year old. Any ideas…

Thanks, Cindy

You won’t get shocked from 12 volts. If you can grasp the nipple, just pull it out. If this doesn’t work, try using a non metallic stick to pry it out. If this doesn’t work, disconnect the negative cable of the battery (the terminals should be marked with a “-” the cable attached to the negative terminal goes to the frame of the car).

Your other problem may be corroded battery terminals that need to be cleaned. This is a place to start. You might have a garage clean the terminals and while they have the battery disconnected, they could pull out the nipple of the GPS cord out of the socket.

Well thank you…I think I can try that myself…appreciate the information

Cindy