1st to 2nd WOT sound

Hey guys, I launched my Elantra N today for the first time today. When I shifted from 1st to 2nd I heard a weird like clunk. It wasn’t very loud and I didn’t feel anything. The car runs fine and shifts fine still. But I’m just curious if this is fine and what could it have possibly been.

If by “launched” you mean accelerated hard, and if you shifted quickly, the sound was everything from the engine to the wheels taking up the slack in the driveline. This is normal

1 Like

The car is affected standard with a manual transmission but can be ordered with an automatic. Just to be clear, your car has the 6 speed manual, correct?

Automatic or manual?? I understand WOT, but did you short shift it or bounce it off the rev limiter?? You didn’t say what rpm you shifted at… or what transmission…

Yes 6spd manual.

Was at the limiter. Probably ~6500 RPM. And it’s a 6spd manual

Then you probably heard the clutch disc collapsing the torsion (coil) springs allowing the hub plate and the sub plate hitting the stops… You probably will break the torsion springs and damage the clutch disc if you do it to many times… Or upgrade the clutch kit with a performance clutch kit (if available) and then you will find the next weakest link…

I know it is fun, but you if you want to play you are going to pay… lol

1 Like

You’ll also want to learn (quickly) how to keep the driveline loaded between shifts. If you allow slack to develop- like when the vehicle shifts from accelerating to decelerating between shifts, that allows the lash in the driveline to shift to the other extreme. Then, when you go back hard on the gas, all that force slams those interfaces back the other way and that is going to cause damage fairly quickly. There is skill and some art in properly “launching” and accelerating a vehicle. Most learn young on inexpensive cars they can repair inexpensively or discard without too much pain :wink: