1999 Nissan Sentra GXE stalls at start-up

Hi!

I have a '99 Nissan Sentra GXE. When I start the car in the morning (in cool temperatures) the car starts perfectly. But in very hot temperatures, the car stalls and sputters upon start-up. This stalling also happens when we’ve had a huge rainfall and when I shut off the car for a few minutes then try to restart. And this stalling is totally random! Sometimes the car will start numerous time - even when it’s warm! To start it, I have to give it gas just before the car sputters out - then the car stays on and no problems.

Any ideas? I took it to the mechanic and he’s stumped, and the Nissan blogs are confusing (there’s too many suggestions).

Please help!

Thanks!

Christophe Casamassima

Lets start with some basics. Have you checked for any stored error codes Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. There may be codes even if there is no CEL (light).

When was the last time (miles and months) you change the plugs, plug wires, fuel and air filters?