1999 Nissan Maxima key problem

I have two keys, one copy and one original. During the winter I lost the original, and used only the copy which hangs and I have to jiggle it or turn upside down for it to successfully start the car. Today I found the original key, and when I tried to start the car, it turned over and then quit. That happened three times. Then I put the copy back in and it cranked right up. How weird is that? Next, I removed the copy and tried the original key and it also worked beautifully. Could the original key reprogram itself since it hadn’t been used in at least 6 months? Or did I just embarrass myself by asking that question?

Well it sure sounds like your car and your key are no longer on speaking terms. The key may have a battery that went bad or who knows what. Someone may have the instructions on how to re-acquaint them. BTW it also sounds like the lock cylinder in the car may be worn and you man need a new one or a rebuild by a locksmith.

Actually, the dealer suggested a locksmith when I called them today. After fooling with the key on and off all day, it seems the original only works intermittently. Aside from this key deal, this car is awesome. And thanks for your suggestion.