1999 Honda Accord Cpe

I have had problems with my car I have had to have it jumped off several times The battery is over a year old I had it tested and they told me my battery seems to be bad. But he told me when I get another battery to get them to test my alternator. Because you can not check alternator with bad battery. What should I do

This is where you answered your own question . Have the alternator checked by the place you purchase your new battery from .

Take the vehicle somewhere else.

Tester

3 Likes

I know this is untrue, because I have removed the alternator from a car, and brought it to an auto parts store, and they have a machine which run-tests it (by way of an electric motor and drive belt) and this will tell you if the alternator itself works fine. The alternator was not the problem, as it tested ok.

1 Like

That is true on some vehicles but not all, some alternators will go into a failsafe mode if the battery goes below X voltage to keep from burning it up… Ford did this at least for a while…
I have had plenty for techs tell me a vehicle required a new alt and I would make them install a new battery (or good one for the test) if battery was low voltage and recheck the alt…
But I don’t remember a 99 Honda being that way…

There are auto electric shops that specialize in this kind of thing. You bring in an auto electric component and they can test it and fix it or advise you. They might be willing to test it in your car - call and ask.

1 Like