1999 Camry Start Up Stalls... only sometimes

I have had an on and off problem that has been happening with my 1999 Toyota Camry. I explained this to my service rep, when I took it in last year, but because it was intermittent, they couldn’t find the source of the problem. Perhaps someone here can help me.

When I turn on the ignition, the engine will start up and then stall out. Sometimes immediately and sometimes the car will rumble for about 3-5 seconds and then stall out. It won’t stall out, if I rev the gas when I’m in park mode. But then when let go of the gas and I engage it into drive, it will conk out. Sometimes, to get the car moving forward, or in reverse if I am parked in a stall, I have to have the engine revved, which can lead to some dangerous situations as doing this jerks the car in motion.

After it stalls out, the second time I try to start it up, it has an even harder time doing so.

I haven’t-not been able to start it up so I haven’t been stranded anywhere but I want to get this fixed but because it is intermittent, it doesn’t necessarily happen when I bring it to the shop.

Can anyone explain what is going on here?

You may have a faulty IAC (Idle Air Control) or a possible faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Also check for vacuum leaks.