1999 avalon xls

I have 1999 avaon xls 5 years ago second hand it had 48k and now 70k yesterday 3/12/10 pick up my son from work 20 miles there and 20 miles back all surface road . I notice the car light blinking slowly like it about to loose power. also my engine sputtering like not enough fuel. I race home so i did not want to be stuck and tow it and walk home. got home put natural and listen light slowly dimming and engine sputtering. I would like know if i could fix it or take it to mechanic problem is there is no reliable mechanic in Everett. Washington pls help

Borrow or buy a volt meter, put it on 25 volt scale and touch red lead to positive post on battery and black lead to nev. it should be 12-12.5 volts.
If alt is bad it may be low. Start car and check battery CLAMPS the same way. Get a reading at idle and around 2000 rpms it should be at least 13.5 volts at 2000 rpms if not alt is bad.
This is a good time to clean all clamps and wires.
I would also slit coating on red battery cable, do it on the side for 3 inches from battery to look for green corrosion which will slow or stop voltage. A common problem on older cars.

“I notice the car light blinking slowly”

There are many lights on the car.
Are you referring to the Check Engine Light (CEL)?

If it was the CEL that was blinking, that is an indication that the engine is misfiring.
If you continue to drive the car in that condition, it will lead to damage to the very expensive catalytic converter, and possibly to other components. It will not repair itself.

For a clue as to what the problem might be, you can have the car’s OBD2 system scanned for trouble codes at an auto parts retailer like Auto Zone, Advance Auto, O’Reilly, etc. Then, come back to this thread to post the exact codes, in a format such as P0123.

As to whether you can repair it yourself, since we do not know the level of your mechanical expertise, that is really not possible to answer. If you feel that there are no trustworthy mechanics in your town, all I can suggest is that you take the car to the closest Toyota dealership–assuming that this place is not known for being a den of thieves. Whatever you do, DO NOT take the car to Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, AAMCO, or any other chain operation.

It is possible that I have not interpreted your post correctly, due to language problems.
Would it be possible to have a native speaker of English–perhaps your son–post all of the relevant information, so that we have a clear picture of the problem?

VDC is absolutely right. No one can even get started without knowing what light we’re talking about. I’m also having trouble with “the blinking slowly like it about to loose power”.

Hopefully you have an owner’s manual. It will tell you what all of the little lights are and what each one means. Try to clarify.

And if you post again - at the very least get a period at the end of each thought and a capital letter at the beginning of the next.