1998 Volvo V70 wagon - "shift lock" engagement

About 25% of the time, when I start the car, to get it in gear, I have to use the “shift lock override” button. If I drive after doing this, my turn signals and lights do not work. So, I shut it off, and restart and attempt to put it in gear until I do not have to use the “shift lock override” button. Anyone know what’s going on w/ the “shift lock” engaging, and why is it affecting my turn signals/lights. Some electrical problem? But what?

There is an electrical solenoid that should unlock the gear shift when the brake pedal is pressed. It gets power from the same switch as the brake lights. Since the shift interlock acts up when you have no turn signals and lights, I think the brake lights are also not working.

This sounds like an electrical problem, and in the power side of the circuit. I’d check the fuses first, and look for corrosion at the connection.

I’m not pressing the brake pedal. Perhaps it is a simple as that! Will also check for corrosion. Good idea, particularly in a car this old. Thanks for your thoughts! And yes, no brake lights, either.

@3canines

A mechanic could very quickly determine if the brake light switch is functioning

If the wiring is okay, and the switch is faulty, that is most likely the root cause of your problems

The brake has to be pressed to release the solenoid. There is a relay 2/6 Overload 151 relay that is in both circuits brake switch and lights. It is relay 106 in the picture of the box.

NOW IT IS WORSE. CANNOT GET THE OVERRIDE TO RELEASE THE SHIFTER. IT IS STUCK IN PARK, NOTHING WILL GET IT TO RELEASE. STOMPING ON THE BRAKE, AND STILL NOTHING. GUESS THIS IS IT FOR THE SWITCH REFERENCED BY DB4690?

Is the override manual? The solenoid generally moves a little lever that blocks the shift selector. An “override” usually means there is a way to manually move the lever.

I had to fix up my own interlock once. The root issue was basically that over the years lots of “goo” had gotten down into the center console and gummed up the works. It was all dirty and sticky down there. If you can’t even override it manually then it all might just be that sticky.

Of course, if you still have the issue with the lights not working when you first get going then you still do have a power problem which is a different issue.

Not sure - it is a little button that one pushes… Have an appt. at the shop tomorrow, and am passing on this link to the mechanics. Thanks!

Was able to get it into gear once the car warmed up a bit. Cold this AM. But, this shouldn’t be related to the cold? Should it?

Mine was completely related to the cold. Every little bit of coffee or soda or juice that had ever been spilled and oozed through the seams in the center console was down there in a sticky mess. (I bought this car at 95K and whomever had it before me was a total mess, though I’ve also splashed my share of coffee around in there). The colder it got, the stiffer that gunk was and it would all basically freeze up. So mine only had trouble in cold weather and, as it turns out, I didn’t have a power problem. Only a gunk problem. Cleaning everything up and some well placed lube put it all back in order.

Note, however, that it seems likely that you have more going on here, and getting into the center console requires some amount of interior disassembly. Shops love to charge an arm and leg for work like that, so don’t assume or allow anyone else to just assume that my issue is the same as yours. It’s just odd that the manual override stopped working and that’s what made me think of it. Anyway, just make sure that whomever looks at it has good reason for performing whatever labor they will perform on it.

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind. Not so sure that the problem in August can be blamed on the cold, even tho we HAVE had snow in August… :slight_smile: