1998 Subaru Forester S

My mechanic (who has serviced by 91 Acura Legend for years) has suggested it was time for a “new” car (the electrical system is going, the windows don’t work…rain comes in…mold grows, etc.)

He has a 1998 Subaru Forester S Manual that he has serviced for years. He said it needs about $2000 in work. He will sell it to me for that plus the $1000 he is paying for it. A Subaru saved my daughter’s life in an accident, so I always thought they were great cars. Now I’m reading some bad things about the 1998 Forester and I’m worried. Should I be

If that 2000 dollars includes new head gaskets, it’ll be fine.

If it has not had the head gaskets replaced in the past 5 or 6 years, it probably won’t be fine for as long as it should be. There were a couple of head gasket revisions to try and fix the 2.5 liter engine’s head gasket problems, but Subaru finally got on top of it in the mid 2000s. Other gaskets are probably mostly off the market by now.

If you have $3000 that you can spare, it might be worth the gamble. See if he’s done the head gaskets yet, and if he’d give a small guarantee about the maintenance of it, and to show his copies of his invoices of the work he’s done to it over the years.